NOMINATIONS OPEN FOR QUEENSLAND SAFE WORK AWARDS
Local businesses who go the extra mile to make their workplace as safe as possible will have the opportunity to be recognised for their efforts at the 2014 Queensland Safe Work Awards.
Member for Kallangur, Mr Trevor Ruthenberg, said the awards were a great way to showcase individuals and businesses who have made innovative safety changes to the way their workplace operates, and in some cases, their entire industry.
“I hope this year’s nominees can inspire each other to think outside the square and to share their initiatives with others,” Mr Ruthenberg said.
“Sadly, around 17 Queenslanders die each year as a result of traumatic workplace incidents, and over 5000 suffer a permanent injury.”
“There’s never been a more important time for Queenslanders to be aware of the risks at their workplace and to put their minds to effective safety solutions,” Mr Seath Holswich, Member for Pine Rivers, added.
There are eight award categories available:
• Best work health and safety management system
• Best solution to an identified health and safety issue
• Best work health and safety practices in small business
• Best individual contribution to work health and safety
• Best solution to an identified electrical safety
• Most significant improvement to work health and safety
• Best workplace health and wellbeing initiative
• Best demonstrated leadership in work health and safety
“Past winners Frasers Livestock Transport received national recognition this week, taking out a top gong at the Safe Work Australia Awards for their cross loading module invention, which helps transfer cattle from one truck to another with minimal risks to workers and cattle.”
“I look forward to seeing more innovative ideas from this year’s nominees and to recognising those who make a real difference,” Mr Holswich said.
Visit www.worksafe.qld.gov.au to enter or nominate someone else, and view example entries and films of previous winning initiatives.
Entries close 27th June and winners will be announced at a ceremony on 23rd October 2014.