Two Lanes Open on New Northbound Wyllie Bridge
The new northbound AJ Wyllie Bridge at Petrie opened to two lanes of traffic Saturday, restoring an important connection across the North Pine River, missing since the 2011 floods.
The local community marked the opening with hundreds of people gathering in Wyllie Park for a community celebration organised by Trevor Ruthenberg MP, Seath Holswich MP and Peter Dutton MP.
Member for Kallangur Trevor Ruthenberg said the community would be pleased to see the northbound AJ Wyllie Bridge returning to full capacity for the first time in almost two years.
"The opening of the bridge marks the culmination of almost two years of investigations, design work and construction," Mr Ruthenberg said.
"AJ Wyllie Bridge sustained significant damage during the floods and the northbound bridge was closed to traffic."
"The southbound bridge has been operating as one lane in each direction since that time."
"The bridge-building process is not a simple one and there were many steps involved, such as damage investigations, planning, design, and environment approvals, before construction could begin."
"Thankfully now we have a new bridge to service this important route for the Pine Rivers and Kallangur regions."
Member for Pine Rivers Seath Holswich said the new northbound bridge had been designed to improve flood immunity.
"The previous 78-year-old northbound bridge was 1.4 metres lower in height than the newer southbound bridge, which was built in 1987," Mr Holswich said.
"Rebuilding the northbound bridge to current engineering standards, and at the height level of the neighbouring southbound bridge, will improve flood immunity and reduce potential damage in future flood events."
There are other minor works required for completion of the project, which will extend into early 2013.
Some work will continue on the southbound bridge, including the removal of the temporary pedestrian bridge, and this is expected to return to two lanes before Christmas.
The new pedestrian bridge is expected to be open for use in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, pedestrians and cyclists continue to use the temporary pedestrian facility on the southbound bridge.
Saturday afternoon's celebration helped to raise over $2,400 for local State Emergency Services and Rural Fire Brigades.
"Our SES volunteers and Rural Firies served our community so well during the 2011 floods, so it was fitting that we could use the re-opening of the AJ Wyllie Bridge to give something back to them," Mr Holswich said.
The $25 million project is being jointly funded by the Queensland and Australian Governments, and includes a Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangement funding component.
For more information on the northbound bridge replacement project, visit www.tmr.qld.gov.au or phone 1800 459 366.