Pine Rivers sits within the Moreton Bay Regional Council district, approximately 25km from Brisbane’s CBD. The Pine Rivers electorate is a mix of suburban and rural localities. The suburbs/localities within the electorate are Armstrong Creek, Bray Park, Brendale, Cashmere, Clear Mountain, Dayboro, Joyner, King Scrub, Kobble Creek, Laceys Creek, Lawnton, Mount Pleasant, Ocean View, Rocksberg, Rush Creek, Samsonvale, Strathpine and Warner.
(Information about each of these localities can be found below by clicking on the suburb name above. Information has been sourced from www.queenslandplaces.com.au unless otherwise indicated).
Pine Rivers Electorate was first created in 1972. As part of a redistribution the district was known as Kurwongbah from 1992 – 2009. It then reverted to be once again known as Pine Rivers from 2009 onwards.Map of Pine Rivers Electorate
All members to have represented the state electorate of Pine Rivers are:
|Kenneth Leese||ALP||1972 - 1974|
|Rob Akers||Liberal Party||1974 - 1983|
|Yvonne Chapman||National Party||1983 - 1989|
|Margaret Woodgate||ALP||1989 - 1997*|
|Linda Lavarch||ALP||1997 - 2009*|
|Carolyn Male||ALP||2009 - 2012|
|Seath Holswich||LNP||2012 - present|
* “Kurwongbah” from 1992 – 2009
No information has been sourced. If you can assist with historical information about Armstrong Creek, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bray Park, a residential suburb in the Pine Rivers district, is immediately north of Strathpine and 20 km north-west of central Brisbane.
Until 1970 the undeveloped suburb was known as Strathpine West, but planned housing developments led to the need for a new name. John Bray, shire council chairman 1950-73, had overseen much of the shire's postwar urbanisation and the name Bray Park was gazetted in 1970. Adoption of the name over the five years was uneven, a 1975 Gregory's directory describing the suburb as part of Lawnton. By then, however, Strathpine West primary school (1973) had been renamed Bray Park. Bray Park Railway Station was opened in 1986 and the high school the next year.
Bray Park also has two other schools: Holy Spirit Catholic Primary (1977) and Genesis Christian College (1991). Recreation spaces include a linear park along the suburbs southern boundary (Four Mile Creek), mostly named John Bray Park and the Les Hughes sporting complex on the northern boundary with netball, baseball and rugby facilities. Hughes was shire chair during 1973-82. An area west of the Hughes complex remained partly undeveloped in the mid-2000s. The Kensington Village drive-in shopping centre is at the southern boundary of Bray Park.
Brendale, an industrial suburb in the Pine Rivers district, is 17 km north-west of central Brisbane. The southern boundary is the South Pine River, and the Strathpine Railway Station is on its eastern boundary. Brendale was named in 1980 after a horse stud owned by a land developer.
In about 1870 Thomas and Samuel Coe settled on the South Pine flats (present day Brendale). There were several seasonal water courses and the flats were good dairy country. A provisional school was opened in 1873, going by the name of South Pine, which was adopted as the place name until the 1980s. It was the second school in the Pine Rivers local government division (later, the shire).
The open farm country was used for an airstrip during the war.
As well as river flats South Pine had clay deposits. In 1961 PGH Brickworks opened a large manufacturing plant in Kremzow Road. The year before cablemakers opened a large factory. South Pine was on the way to becoming the shire's industrial precinct, and by 2005 hosted 900 businesses which provided over 22% of the employment in the Pine Rivers shire. Not all of the good river flats went under industry. In the south-west of Brendale there are two golf courses, a golf driving range and the South Pine Sporting Complex. Tiny Brendale Park adjoins a housing estate, occupying a smaller area than the nearby South Pine power stations.
Cashmere is mostly a rural/residential suburb in the former Pine Rivers Shire, 25 km north-west of central Brisbane. It adjoins the suburbs of Eatons Hill and Warner, and there is a built-up part on its eastern boundary with Warner.
Cashmere is named after an early European settler (1859) James Cash, who had land on the South Pine River at Eatons Hill and Albany Creek. Cash's Crossing is a ford on South Pine Road at the river crossing. Cashmere was formally named in 1979, and 'mere' is Old English for a lake or a pond. Cashmere's northern border overlooks Lake Samsonvale (1976).
Most of the land on Lake Samsonvale's border with Cashmere is state forest. The settled part near Warner has rural/residential acreages and the One Mile Creek linear park.
Clear Mountain is an outlying suburb of the former Pine Rivers Shire, 20 km north-west of central Brisbane. Its southern border is Cedar Creek, a tributary of the South Pine River. Most of Clear Mountain is an upland, drained southwards by Branch Creek (a tributary of Cedar Creek) and numerous short northerly streams that run into Lake Samsonvale.
The alluvial flats along Branch and Cedar Creeks were taken up for corn and vegetable growing, bananas, pineapples, dairying and piggeries. The Branch Creek Primary School opened in 1889 and operated until 1913 while Clear Mountain School opened in 1903 and continued until about 1947.
Clear Mountain Lookout is on the northern boundary, overlooking rural and forested country. Rural/residential subdivisions are in the south-east corner, adjoining similar settlement in Eatons Hill.
Dayboro, on Terrors Creek a short distance north of where the creek joins the North Pine River, is 38 km north-west of central Brisbane. First named Hamilton (1875), then Terrors Creek (1892) after a noted stallion in the district, the village's name was changed to Dayboro in 1919 to avoid confusion with Torrens Creek. 'Dayboro' apparently derives from the name of an early selector, William Day, who planted sugar and established a sugar mill in the area around 1869.
The sugar mill lasted for less than ten years, with the cane fields being turned over to growing maize and pasture in the 1880s. Building materials from the mill - themselves products of the area's early timber-getting - were used for Dayboro's first store and hotel. Late in the 1890s an Orange Lodge Hall and a Catholic Church were opened, and a Presbyterian Church followed in 1900. The marketing of locally-grown fruit crops was assisted with the opening of a branch railway line from Petrie to Dayboro in 1920, the branch closing in 1955. Dairying was also quite extensive. In 1924 Pugh's Queensland directory recorded Dayboro as having a cooperative butter factory, three sawmillers, a motor garage and several stores. The state primary school had opened in 1920.
After World War II a Lutheran Church and a memorial showground (c1955) and recreation reserve were added to Dayboro. Dairying and other local primary industries have declined in recent decades. At around an hour from Brisbane's CBD, Dayboro has become an increasingly popular rural-residential locale for 'tree-changers' from the metropolitan area, with residential subdivisions taking over former pasturelands.
The town has a swimming pool, information centre, hotel, and a State primary school, which had an enrolment of about 350 pupils in 2008.
Joyner, a partly developed residential suburb in the Pine Rivers district, is 22 km north-west of central Brisbane.
In 1845 William Joyner acquired the Samsonvale pastoral station on the south side of the North Pine River. He died soon afterwards and in 1852 his widow, Isabella, married John Griffin, the owner of the adjoining Whiteside property. Farms were sub-divided from the joint properties, but a home block was retained and stayed in the Joyner family until the late 1940s. Their Samsonvale homestead was a notable residence and the name was given to the nearby hamlet. The hamlet's centre was the Mount Samson School (1880) and the Samsonvale Cemetery, now on the shoreline of Lake Samsonvale (North Pine Dam).
It was the construction of the dam in the early 1970s that separated the Joyner area from Samsonvale; much of the best farm land (dairying) was inundated. Joyner might also have been regarded as West Lawnton, but creation of a separate suburb was chosen.
Before then, part of Joyner, where Samsonvale Road crosses One Mile Creek, was an Area Headquarters camp during World War II. It was one of several comprising Camp Strathpine.
Joyner's housing growth began in the 1990s, and by 2005 less than half was built-up. Linear parks were established along One Mile Creek, and reserves provided on the edge of Lake Samsonvale. The dam supplies Brisbane, Redcliffe, Caboolture and Pine Rivers.
No information has been sourced. If you can assist with historical information about King Scrub, please email the information to email@example.com
Kobble Creek is a locality within the Moreton Bay Region of Queensland.
Kobble Creek, the locality, is situated along Mount Samson Road to the south of Dayboro, approximately 45 km north-west of Brisbane's central business district.
The locality is named after the creek with that forms part of the catchment area of Lake Samsonvale (North Pine Dam), one of the three main water-suppliers to the metropolitan region.
Kobble Creek was, in years gone by, predominantly a dairy farming community with some banana and pineapple farming on surrounding hillsides. As a farming community, Kobble Creek supported a butter factory, primary school, and railway station, the latter two located near the site of the current Samsonvale Rural Fire Brigade. Following the forced resumption of much of the best farming land in the district to build the North Pine Dam and flood Lake Samsonvale, today the district is predominately a rural-dormitory zone with very limited farming undertaken.
Kobble Creek was recently re-zoned as an administration area but was formerly part of the Samsonvale District.
(Sourced from Wikipedia)
No information has been sourced. If you can assist with historical information about Laceys Creek, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Lawnton, a residential suburb in the Pine Rivers district, is 22 km north-west of central Brisbane. It is immediately south of the North Pine River. The area east of the Gympie Road was known as Wyllie, but was included in Lawnton in 1989.
When the North Coast railway was constructed the government acquired land for a station from Stephen Lawn, and named the station (1888) Lawnton. A post office was opened in 1889. The district had mixed rural occupations: timber cutting, dairying, pig-raising and maize growing. Silt flats along the river grew good maize, and in about 1900 the Paisley corn flour and starch mill began operation in Gympie Road, beside Four Mile Creek. Paisley Park is a reminder of the mill. In 1905 the Acclimatisation Society, having lost much of Bowen Park in Brisbane to the Exhibition and the railways, moved its operations to the south bank of the North Pine River. Ten years later the Pine Rivers Agricultural, Horticultural and Industrial Association moved its showground from Petrie to a site 2 km up from the corn flour mill. After World War I the showground was graced by elaborate memorial gates which were later transferred to the Kallangur RSL.
Situated between Petrie and Strathpine, Lawnton awaited the spread of housing from those areas until the 1960s. A prominent local firm, Chesney Caravans, opened its factory in Lawnton in 1968. A State primary school was opened the year before, and by 1973 had an enrolment of 600. Churches and a swimming pool (next to the showground) followed in the 1970s, although St Thomas Anglican Church (near the railway station) had been there since 1878. It was erected on land donated by Stephen Lawn.
Lawnton has local shops in Ebert Parade opposite the station, more shops to the south along Gympie Road, and the showground, a community hall and a swimming pool to their north. Leis Park and Stephen Lawn Park are along the North Pine River and the One Mile Country Club golf course is in the west of Lawnton.
No information has been sourced. If you can assist with historical information about Mount Pleasant, please email the information to email@example.com
Ocean View is a rural/residential locality 13 km south-west of Caboolture and 7 km north of Dayboro. Situated on the D'Aguilar Range, Ocean View includes the headwaters of the north and south branches of the Caboolture River.
A short way south of Ocean View there are the headwaters of the North Pine River. Occupying a ridge between the two river systems, Ocean View was recognised in the 1860s as having views north to the Glass House Mountains and east to the coast. The D'Aguilar Range was selected for farm allotments in the 1870s and land-clearing yielded plentiful timber. Logs were taken out through Mount Mee or to Dayboro. An early selector was J.L. Zillman (1873), who is remembered by Zillman Creek, one of the Caboolture River's tributaries.
By 1920 both timber and dairy milk were taken to Dayboro, timber to the railway and milk to the Dayboro butter factory. Ocean View Primary School opened in 1922. Long considered as an outlying district of Dayboro, Ocean View's pupils have been bussed to Dayboro since the local school closed in 1963. Alternatively, pupils can attend the Mount Mee School further up the range.
Since the 1980s new residents have been drawn to rural/residential acreages on Ocean View's elevated land.
Rocksberg is the rural community west of the Old North Road or Upper Caboolture. After the Gympie Gold rushes, from 1869 onwards, pioneers William Geddes, John Clark and John Leopold Zillman, a former Lutheran missionary, took up freehold selections within this region. J.W. Zillman named the area Rocksberg, although in earlier Council Minute Books of Caboolture Shire it was not uncommon for this spelling to be "Roxberg". Dairying was the main use to which land in the new area around Gregors Creek was put.
(Sourced from "A Window into Caboolture Shire" by Gladys Federick and James G. Lergessner)
No information has been sourced. If you can assist with historical information about Rush Creek, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Samsonvale is a rural/residential suburb of the former Pine Rivers Shire, 30 km north of central Brisbane. Mount Samson (690m) is at an eastern point of the D'Aguilar Range, about 4 km north-east of Mount Glorious. Mount Samson is shown on surveyor Robert Dixon's map of the Moreton Bay district, but the origin of its name is apparently unrecorded.
In 1845 William Joyner in partnership with W. Mason purchased the Samsonvale pastoral run (1844), so-called because of its proximity to Mount Samson. Joyner died in 1847 and his widow married the proprietor of the adjoining Whiteside property, John Griffin, in 1852. The properties were merged and run successfully, enabling the owners to build a two-storey homestead, Samsonvale House (1865-1949). Much of the Samsonvale property was resumed in the 1880s for closer-settlement, although there had been settlement in the previous decade requiring the opening of the Mount Samson, Kibble and Samson Creek Primary Schools (1875, 1876, and 1880).
Farming was varied: bananas, vegetable-growing, citrus, dairying, pigs and poultry. Timber was cut for building and for firewood. A hall was built in 1890. The post office directory (1902) recorded 35 farmers, the Samsonvale Dairy Company (1892) and a Presbyterian Church (1884-1973). The 1949 directory indicated that the vast majority of farmers were in the dairy industry, the other few being in fruit-growing and poultry. The public hall by then had been rebuilt, and there was a local station (1919) on the Dayboro train line.
The second of two water storages for the Pine Rivers district was constructed in the early 1970s. Lake Samsonvale (1976) inundated the site of the public hall and much of the best farm land in Samsonvale. Whiteside hugs the north-east shore of the lake.
Strathpine, situated between the easterly-flowing North Pine and South Pine Rivers, is 20 km north of Brisbane. The name was derived from the Gaelic 'strath' (river valley). Strathpine is on the Brisbane-Gympie Road where it is crossed by Four Mile Creek (a tributary of the South Pine River), which made it a minor stopping place for coach runs.
In 1888 Strathpine was made the administrative centre of the Pine local-government divisional board (forerunner of the shire), adding to a bakery and a rum distillery in the village. The northern railway line was also opened in that year. The divisional board's hall (1889) has been superseded by larger buildings, but it has been preserved for theatre performances and public gatherings and is listed on the Queensland heritage register. In 1910 Strathpine had two stores, a hotel, artisans and the distillery.
During World War II Strathpine was the site for Australian and American military camps, with an airfield near the present State Primary (1911) and High (1964) Schools on Spitfire Avenue. Urbanisation was evident in the 1960s and within 20 years Strathpine's population went from under 2000 to over 10,000 people. It has two main shopping centres, including a Westfield shopping complex (1983) with a department store, discount department stores and over 100 other shops.
Warner, a residential and rural/residential suburb in the Pine Rivers district, is 20 km north-west of central Brisbane.
It was named after the parish of Warner, surveyed in 1861 by the colonial surveyor, James Warner.
In common with its neighbour, Bray Park, Warner was part of the farm community in west Strathpine. Divided from Bray Park by Old North Road, Warner was the suburb to follow Bray Park's urbanisation during the 1970s-90s. Its first housing area was south-west of the intersection of Samsonvale and Old North Roads (mid-1990s) where there had been a drive-in theatre. Within ten years most of that area was subdivided.
In 2005 Warner Lakes, south-west of the intersection of Old North and Kremzow Roads was started, comprising the staged release of 1100 house sites and the promise of a shopping centre and a community centre. The earlier housing area has the Warner Village shopping centre (c2003).